It’s been a crazy term with the school production (which was awesome) and everything else we managed to squeeze in. Sometimes it feels as though one is trying to squeeze in reading and writing and maths! I’m looking forward to getting back to a proper routine next term as post-production everyone was tired. We had a week of decent learning. I generally planned for better learning this week, but it just didn’t happen. I knew what this term would be like ahead of time, so I won’t beat myself up for it, but I would hardly describe it as a term of modelled effective practice!
Oh well. Back to reflections.
My inquiry has largely centred around a couple of students. With the paired writing this term we I haven’t done a lot of teaching of those students. I have noted though that they have both made a tremendous overall improvement with their writing.
One has successfully managed to overcome the ‘I don’t know what to write’ barrier, which is fantastic. The other regularly uses finger-spaces when writing independently and writes many more recognisable words.
At this point the goal will be to maintain and build upon their progress. For one that will mean lots and lots of writing. For the other it will mean continued development of essential list words. Upon retesting I have noted that there has been quite limited progress over the year in that area. I have another student I will now focus on in the context of spelling particularly, as the level of writing is not what I want. In some ways this is a plus because it will make the student eligible for support they weren’t eligible for previously, but it will be a blow to the student’s self-esteem.
I have written a more detailed summary of adaptations, but this remains in a private google doc shared within my present workplace for privacy reasons.
My next inquiry: spelling (a mini inquiry)/ inquiry into PLD I am taking.
Next steps: Review progress in five weeks of current inquiry. Develop plan for spelling inquiry. Begin with spelling programme review.
I have used tech to a mediocre level this term. I keep getting stuck at a relatively low level on the SAMR model. I know how to use it to a deeper level, but keep not doing it.
Something I consistently struggle with is the work-home balance. I have erred on the side of home this year because of the various events that have been going on. I am now paying the catch-up price.
Regardless, the children have learnt. Perhaps I need to set up an inquiry into my IT practice to ensure I actually alter it. We shall see.